Revelation Chapter 1 - The Lamb is all the Glory
A hard, mysterious book?
Easy to think it is a hard, mysterious book. "Revelation" - NOT SO! Its purpose is to reveal and not to hide!
In Elizabeth Gaskell's book "North & South" Bessy Higgins, a poor mill girl in a 19th century English cotton town, is dying of lung disease brought on by the cotton dust in the mills; the movie doesn't show that she was a Christian, and her great comfort was this book of Revelation, which she knew almost by heart! To her it was a book of hope, not terror.
Quick tour of the quick tour
Click here for my Real Revelation Code overview
Chapter 1 is itself an overview
- Revelation is about Jesus Christ and by Jesus Christ (Man-Messiah)
- via John - he is in prison, but Jesus is not; the King is not in prison, His Word is not in prison;
- it is to Church - His people, who trust in Him;
- when? - verse 1 "soon" verse 3 "time is near" verse 7 "coming!" verse 19, it covers the whole period from Jesus' first to second comings;
- not ALL PAST, nor ALL FUTURE, John's "soon" extends to the end of age;
- The Lord Jesus Christ revealed - Lord, Revealer, Redeemer, Husband & Judge;
- It is truth revealed in Signs & symbols;
- Sharp 2-edged sword in His mouth;
- 7 spirits, 7 stars, 7 churches, 7 lamps (fullness, completion);
- stars & lamps explained (they are symbols!);
- stars=messengers, probably pastors, in His hand (sent, protected, empowered); stars give a little light ("then the traveller in the dark thanks you for your tiny spark" - a rarely heard second verse to "Twinkle twinkle little star");
- lamps=churches - to show His glory and gospel in the world (not just pastors!).
The Lamb is All the Glory!
Lord - Jesus - Christ:
- He is Himself the heart of all God's revelation.
- He is the launch-pad and destination of all history.
- He is the beginning and ending, 1st and last, Alpha and Omega (A-Z). He IS GOD!.
- of angels - verse 1;
- of church - verse 4 (to churches) , verse 6 (made a kingdom), verse 13 (in midst), verse 20;
- of all men, nations - verse 5 King of kings, verse 7, "all the peoples" tremble;
- of death & the grave v18, and over the devil who wields these as weapons (Hebrews. 2:14);
- Victor! - verse 7.
- it is His revelation - verse 1 ;
- He reveals it to John - verse 1, verse 5, verse 11-12;
- it is the Word of God - verse 2;
- it is for His church - to comfort, to warn, to teach, to guard - "take heart; I have overcome the world" John 16:33;
- He sends out His gospel messengers - verse 16, 20 (7 stars).
- He faithfully obeyed God - verse 5;
- He is raised from dead - verse 5, "Living One" verse 18 - fountain of life;
- He freed us by His blood -verse 5 (and who is "us"? - not all, some mourn verse 7);
- He was pierced for us - verse 7;
- He suffered - verse 9 (and now our pattern);
- He is the mighty redeemer - verse 17,18 ("Do not be afraid.").
- He blesses us - verse 3;
- He loves us - verse 5;
- He comforts us - verse 4, verse 17;
- He never leaves us - verse 13;
- He protects us - even from death - verse 18;
- He is the lovely One - verse 13-16 (Daniel's vision too, in his 10th chapter, with same swoon as John experiences, such is the ravishing sight of Jesus the Son of God and Son of Man).
- He will come at the end of the age - verse 7;
- His eyes see all - verse 14;
- He carries the sword, verse 16, to bring justice (none will "get away with it" then - the Judge will know, and speak, and punish);
- He has the keys of death & the grave.
Where am I? Where are you?
- longing to fall at His blessed feet, to see the Lamb in all His glory?
- fearing His coming - you need not - come to Him and seek forgiveness and receive His sure comfort and hope. "this man receives sinners" - thank God He does!
- "I'll worry about that later" - maybe you will, and maybe you won't!. You can leave it until it is too late. Why would you?
Click here for the next Revelation article Revelation Chapters 2 & 3 - Tough Love Letters
This page tardus.net/revelation01-theLambIsAllTheGlory.html
Last updated: 11 Aug 2021
Contact me, "Tardus"
powered by txt2tags