Revelation Chapter 19 - The King, the Queen, the Wedding and the Gatecrashers
Revelation 19 - The King, the Queen, the Wedding and the Gatecrashers
How did we get this far?
Ch 6 - 20 "a brief history of the world" in several cycles. They do not exactly overlap, but tell the same tale, like a collage, a mural.
We are now up to the last of the cycles, being ch 19 and 20. Today, we look at ch. 19.
After This ...
"After this" - v1 - after what? Ch. 18, and complete wipe-out of human and demonic power, with destruction of the great prostitute and the great city, described as "Babylon". The 2 are the same. The fists of men and devils, shaken in God's face, are shamed. Note: we had reached "THE END" again, but now we start over again - another cycle.
The Scene v1-6
- back in the throne room of Heaven, the control room of the universe (ch 4 & 5) - (in fact, we have never really left there)
- the 24 elders (Old Testament and New Testament Church)
- 4 living creatures (the Cherubim)
- crowd beyond counting (as in ch. 7 and ch. 14), roaring out "HALLELUJAH!"- that is, "Praise God!"
Salvation and judgment go hand in hand. They always must, for a holy God is a God who divides. His mercy separates His salvation (through Jesus, of all who will cast themselves on Him) from His judgment of all evil in time now, but not forever. At the end of all things both will be complete.
The Wedding v7-10
The Wedding v7-10.
- The time has come. Home with Him at last!
- The bridegroom - He is the Lamb, Jesus. Note: this name, of all the names He has, is used here, for He is the one who "loved the church and gave Himself for her" Ephesians 5:25. More about Him soon.
- The bride - the church - not buildings or organisations, but the vast number of men, women and kids throughout all ages who have come to Him to be forgiven, and have cast all their cares on Him.
- The invitation - all other joys and pleasures are weak and pale compared to the joy of getting an invitation to this wedding. It is only for those who have already accepted Jesus' gospel invitation "Come to me all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" Matt. 11:28, "I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture." John 10:9
- John is overwhelmed, his senses ravished by the sight of this vision, and he falls at the angel's feet. "Don't do that! Worship God! Only reflected glory, but soon he shall see the One from Whom all Light and Glory spring forth. Jesus, the essence ("spirit") of all God's utterance ("prophecy").
The Bride v7,8
The Bride v7,8
- She makes herself ready. Every bride wants to look her best, to be her best for her beloved, for her husband.
- She is dressed for the part. With what?
- Not with her own good deeds! In ch. 7:14 "they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." 1 Corinthians. 1:30 "Jesus, who is made to us ... righteousness". The Greek word here is ambiguous, literally "righteousnesses". Each must have their own, and must get it from Jesus alone.
- Yet each must display "righteous deeds", the fruits of righteousness, goodness, of which Jesus' goodness and righteousness (ie, to get very real, His death in my place. O trust in Him, and you can say that too.)
- Here at the end of all things She is seen to be dressed in white - not dirty and ragged with sins (Isaiah 64:6), as Satan would accuse her, but pure and glorious before a watching world.
- She will be Queen, ruling with Jesus the King.
Ch 5:10 "and they shall reign on the earth"
Ch 22:5 "and they will reign for ever and ever".
- She is all those who are invited, she is many - v9, and the angel commands John to make a special note of this. "Write it down".
"O the joy to be in heaven!"
Song of Songs ch. 2:8-13 (ESV)
8 The voice of my beloved!
Behold, he comes,
leaping over the mountains,
bounding over the hills.
9 My beloved is like a gazelle
or a young stag.
Behold, there he stands behind our wall,
gazing through the windows,
looking through the lattice.
10 My beloved speaks and says to me:
"Arise, my love, my beautiful one,
and come away,
11 for behold, the winter is past;
the rain is over and gone.
12 The flowers appear on the earth,
the time of singing has come,
and the voice of the turtledove
is heard in our land.
13 The fig tree ripens its figs,
and the vines are in blossom;
they give forth fragrance.
Arise, my love, my beautiful one,
and come away.
What a contrast with the corrupted and corrupting woman of ch. 17!
- here He comes!
- John sees Heaven open
- open so the King can come to rescue and save
- open so we may go in.
- described, same as in ch 1. Glorious, bright.
- He is mighty as the Great King. He comes to bring justice (which must mean judgment on all who have continued to rebel against God, the Creator and Ruler of all.
- His eyes are like fire, seeing into every heart - nothing is hidden.
- He has many crowns (not here the "stephanos" or victor's wreath, though He has that too, but the "diadem", the kingly crown, and many of them)
- He has many names, some not known to us - there is mystery here - no one can fully understand the Man who is God.
- His robe is blood-stained, "for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God." ch. 5:9 (see He also wore the crown of thorns, for you.)
- Here is a name we are given - "The Word of God". He Who is the exact expression of all God is. The same One John writes of in his Gospel, chapter 1 verse 1.
- His armies follow Him - this is the same as the Queen we have just met - dressed in fine linen, white and clean (but here for battle - but not with steel swords.)
- He has a sharp sword, but it is from His mouth. Not for nothing is He called the Word of God. He Who called the worlds into being with a word does not need a sword of steel to conquer rebel men and angels. Those who thought Him weak and despised Him will tremble at His face and at His words. "Depart from me you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels" Matt/ 25:41
- Another name - written twice, on robe and thigh "KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS". Many have claimed that name, but only One can keep it.
The Gatecrashers v17 - 21
The Gatecrashers v17 - 21
- Who are they? Our old "friends" from ch. 13 - the Beast (representing civil powers opposing God), the false prophet (representing corrupted religion), and the kings and men of the earth, stirred up by them (and Satan, the great liar, behind it all). "What - I thought they had all gone!" Remember, we are not looking a literal, consecutive history, but cycles, so should not be surprised to see them popping up again.
- They think they are coming to battle of their own will, but really the are invited guests, but to another feast - for the vultures and other carrion birds - v17 - a mighty angel of God summons the birds as a welcoming committee.
- Satan, the old Dragon, has deluded himself, and deludes many others still.
- He thinks he can become the King of kings and Lord of lords. Isaiah 14:14 "I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High". - No you will not! You never could in a zillion years - you are still just a part of God's creation (created to be good, but fallen through pride).
- Many mighty men of the earth have said the same
- Nebuchadnezzar (Ezekiel 26:7, Daniel 2:37)
- Artaxerxes (Ezra 7:12)
- and many have dreamed it even if they never said it (Alexander the Great, Caesar, Stalin, Hitler, Mao Tse-Tung)
- Some, like Nebuchadnezzar, learned their folly in time - see Daniel 4:37 "Now I ... praise and honour and extol the King of heaven, for all his works are right and his ways are just; and those who walk in pride he is able to humble.")
"THE END", again!
- There isn't even a battle (Armageddon again - compare with ch 16:16). Just an anticlimax.
- The Beast and false prophet are taken and thrown out into the fire.
- Jesus, the true King of kings, overwhelms the rebels with a word.
- "Satan, you old dragon, you're next!"
- Jesus will win!
- Whose side will you be on?
- Are you with the Queen, the Bride of Jesus, waiting for your Beloved Saviour?
- Doing your own thing, trying to be your own King and Lord and really just deluded by Satan?
Choose wisely and choose now. Your future depends on it.
Click for my slides of Revelation chapter 19
Click here for the next Revelation article Revelation Chapter 20 - The LAST Last Battle.
This page tardus.net/revelation19-KingQueenWeddingGatecrashers.html
Last updated: 11 Aug 2021
Contact me, "Tardus"
powered by txt2tags