Targus AMP06 Wireless Presenter Mouse
If you do many computer-based presentations this little gizmo is a real boon.
Essentially it is a wireless mouse with the addition of some very useful buttons:-
- "Fn" function button. 1 press is "F5" which will push either OpenOffice Presenter or Microsoft Powerpoint into slide-show mode. 2 presses = "Esc" and will therefore exit slide-show mode.
- Page Up and Page Down buttons. These allow you to move forward and backward through a slide-show
- A built-in laser pointer
- the mouse uses 2 x AAA batteries
- uses 2.4GHz wireless frequency
- receiver is a USB 1.1 "dongle"
How well does it work?
- in short, very well!
- the claimed 10 metre range is quite realistic. I've used it in our church auditorium (about 30 x 15 metres in size) - the laptop station is about midway along the length, and the presenter worked very well from all points, with the room both empty and full of people.
But the orientation of the antenna dongle is critical.
- the antenna needs to be pointing in the general direction of the presenter. If it is at right-angles to the presenter the range drops greatly.
- I found it best to use a short USB extension cable for the antenna dongle, and stick it to the window frame pointing along the length of the room (U-Tac or BlueTac works fine). Response was then flawless with the presenter at the front or back of the room.
- with the antenna dongle sticking sideways out of the laptop's RH side USB port response at 5-10 metres response became erratic. At a guess the reliable range dropped to 2-3 metres.
- The presenter comes with a black cloth pouch, and there is just room for the extension cable and U-Tac (wrapped in plastic) to fit in with the presenter and dongle
- all up, for $A90 I reckon it was a bargain.
This page http://tardus.net/targusPresenter.html
published: 1 Feb 2009
Contact me, "Tardus"
powered by txt2tags